Nurse Practitioner - Henry Mayo Colorectal Clinic - Full Time 10 Hour Days (Exempt) (Non-Union)
University of Southern California (USC)
Location: Santa Clarita, California
Internal Number: REQ20140342
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) has a specialized skill and knowledge related to the setting in which they practice and perform physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts approved diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, and provides direct patient care services, according to established evidence-based clinical practice standards. The NP contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, consulting, and provides leadership to the organization and advance practice profession. Duties may include but not limited to obtaining patient health histories and complete physical examinations, documenting findings noting pertinent normal and abnormal findings, ordering and interpreting appropriate diagnostic and laboratory tests, and performing procedures as needed within specialty area. The NP also helps facilitate safe and efficient operational flow of the patient through their continuum of care. The NP will function as a part of inter-professional teams by communicating, planning, and implementing care directly with other healthcare professionals, including but not limited to physicians, pharmacists, office support staff, and other advance practice providers (APPs)..
Under general supervision and in accordance with standardized procedures, incumbent performs physical examinations and treats common episodic and chronic health care problems in the acute care patient population, counsels patients and families, monitors patient progress, assists with medical research projects. The Nurse Practitioner takes a leading role in activities such as managing the clinical aspects of clinic in patient rounding and care, nursing performance improvement, job performance/competency evaluations, working with the directors, employees, and preceptors in the orientation and training of new employees. Executes leadership in the following areas: Direct/Indirect Patient Care, Support of Systems, Research, Education, and Professional Leadership. Works in collaboration with other health care team members, consulting and referring as appropriate, but retains responsibility for ongoing clinical management of the patient. Must work with any and every physician in the respective departments as indicated. Other duties as assigned.
1. Conducts in-depth interviews with patients and/or family, constructs comprehensive medical histories, performs initial and periodic physical examinations and explores patientâs interpretation of health needs. Identifies and treats patientsâ diseases. Manages treatment of hospitalized patients as directed by attending.
2. Directly performs or orders appropriate diagnostic studies and interprets finished results.
3. Develops and implements long and short range treatment plans.
4. Performs procedures such as suturing, wound care and management of conditions produced by trauma or infection as indicated.
5. Writes orders to increase, decrease or change medication.
6. Initiates consultations and monitors scheduling of patients for special tests.
7. Identifies records pertinent progress of patients, updating and summarizing charts, changing orders when appropriate and notifying the responsible physician of changes in the patientâs condition.
8. Instructs and counsels patients and families regarding preventive care, medical problems, psychological problems, and use of prescribed treatments and drugs.
9. Acts as liaison with governmental agencies such as Center for Disease Control and National Institute of Health. Assists with medical research projects, following medical research protocols. Obtains Investigational Review Board approval for treatment protocols.
10. Researches community resources for referral of patients. Refers patients to most appropriate resource based on patientsâ medical needs and condition.
11. Maintains compliance with established University and department policies and procedures, quality assurance, safety, environmental, infection control and complies with requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies.
12. Participates in in-service education programs and professional associations.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Â Required Qualifications:
Master's degree Graduate from an accredited school of Nursing (MSN).
5 years Clinical nursing experience.
Other certifications and experience as required per specialty area
Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak, read and write English proficiently.
Knowledge of medical procedures and conditions and ability to understand, follow and successfully perform duties.
3 years Experience as NP in specialty area preferred
Registered Nurse - RN (CA Board of Registered Nursing)
Nurse Practitioner - NP (CA Board of Registered Nursing)
Nurse Practitioner Furnisher (CA DCA) Current license to furnish medications in the State of California.
DEA Certificate Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Certificate issued by the U.S. Department of Justice for Schedule II-V controlled substances.
NP Board Certified Possession of National Board Certification in Nurse Practitioner area of specialty accredited by Accreditation Board of Specialty Nursing (ABSNC) or National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). â¦ If work in Hospital/Acute Care Setting must have Certification from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) or Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) upon hire. âª (*Grandfathered from Acute Care Certification requirement if hired/transferred prior to 12/2015.)
Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association â¦ ACLS as required by the NPs Job description for NPs in the Hospital/Acute Care Setting and Ambulatory Infusion Centers
Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The annual base salary range for this position is $133,120.00 - $219,648.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâs work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations.
As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.