Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
Our Group: The Chief Data Officer of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, Jeff Leek, established the Fred Hutch Data Science Lab (DaSL) to develop and support the overall data strategy for the organization. The mission of DaSL is to lead the Fred Hutch toward its strategic data goals through: building an institution-wide data community, bolstering data science expertise, and fostering a robust and coordinated clinical and research data ecosystem. We do this via collaborating with the community on training and documentation, building and evaluating data-oriented support resources, facilitating partnerships and philanthropy, and engaging in data infrastructure projects that span from the clinic to the lab bench.
Group Culture: In DaSL, we believe everyone is a data scientist! We aim to support everyone from those in wet labs, in the clinic, to large scale clinical trials, or massive cohort studies and everyone in between. We believe focusing on people is critical in building a strong, dynamic community united around using data to improve human health and cancer care. To do this, we aim to build a diverse, hybrid team that is inclusive, open, collaborative, and supportive both within our team and with our collaborators (find more about our values and culture). We are strong advocates for open science and reproducible research, thus develop our work in the open as much as possible. We rely heavily on written communication and continuous collaboration in order to support our hybrid team, as well as make our work as accessible as scalably and sustainably as possible by Fred Hutch staff.
This position requires excellent communication and collaboration skills and an interest in cross-discipline collaborative work with clinicians, translational researchers, data scientists, analytics team members (clinical, finance, research, etc), data engineers as well as other data governance, legal, compliance and policy staff. Given DaSL's focus on openness, communication and usability, this position will require preparing documentation and external facing communications to make data governance, data use, and data security guidance available to many different communities at FHCC.
Fred Hutch Clinical Data Governance:
- Leads collaborative development of data governance processes facilitating the use of Fred Hutch clinical data in clinical and research use cases with domain experts in several departments (such as IT, Compliance, Legal, etc).
- Works with clinical analytics teams including DaSL's Translational Research Analytics staff and individual research teams to support appropriate review of data requests, use and oversight requirements.
- Collaborate with Compliance on processes and implementations of review of data intensive IRB protocols and communication with research staff about IRB oversight of data use.
Research Data and Software Policy and Security:
- Collaborates with Business Development on data use agreements and license agreements for data sets and software and provide guidance to research staff for how to comply with legal and contractual obligations on data or software used in their research.
- Coordinate with Office of General Counsel and Business Development on contractual considerations related to data management.
- Works with InfoSec in IT to identify infrastructure configurations and details as relevant to researchers complying with contractual or other policy related restrictions on data they use.
- Work with internal Fred Hutch collaborators and external collaborators to help coordinate data management issues to facilitate research.
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, public health, epidemiology, data science, or other related field.
- 5+ years of hands-on data science experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate asynchronously with collaborators and DaSL staff using Slack, Teams, and other software supporting documentation and sharing used in the group.
- Ability to prioritize written documentation and communication with attention to multiple audiences and creating broad understanding across groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with audiences with a wide range of data expertise.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change, to work independently, part of a multi-disciplinary group with DaSL staff as well as external partners.
Desired Skills and Expertise:
- M.S. or M.A. preferred.
- Interest or experience in data privacy, policy and/or ethical data use.
- Prior biomedical research experience including the use of clinical data in a research setting, or using highly regulated data for research (such as HIPAA, GDPR, requiring IRB oversight).
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment: Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; ORInitiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider's certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $96,532 to $152,584 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
This position may be eligible for relocation assistance.
This position may be eligible for a sign-on bonus.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.