Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Radiation Therapist I, under the supervision of the Radiation Therapist Supervisor and at the instruction of the department physicians, provides radiation therapy to patients utilizing a variety of radiation equipment.
- Provides radiation therapy to patients utilizing a variety of radiation therapy equipment. Delivers a planned course of radiation therapy.
- Evaluates the daily condition of patients undergoing treatment and recognizes the need for emotional and psychological support to patients.
- Refer patients to departmental staff and other health care professionals.
- Reinforce radiation oncologists' recommendations regarding general activities, diet, prevention and treatment of reactions to radiation therapy.
- Maintain detailed and accurate daily records of technical, legal and statistical components of treatment.
- Assist Radiation Oncologists in patient positioning, radiation treatment field localization and simulation procedures using CT scanners, simulator, computers and other equipment.
- Check patient prescription and treatment records for errors.
- Perform daily quality assurance tests on radiation therapy equipment.
- Instructs radiation therapy students and/or new staff accordingly to clinical and department requirements; assists in the orientation of department and hospital personnel with emphasis on radiation safety.
- Bachelors or Associates Degree in Radiation Therapy or related field
- Registry eligible and registered within 1 year of employment in Radiation Therapy and Technology by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
- Washington State License
- Ability to communicate verbally in person, on the phone and in writing in a clear, concise and professional manner.
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize concurrent responsibilities and demands
- Ability to assess patients' conditions and request assistance when necessary
- Ability to assist in the movement of patient to and from wheelchairs, carts and radiographic tables.
- Proficient in email and word processing systems
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment. A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists
The hourly pay range for this position is from $46.41 to $73.35, which includes the per diem differential, and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees access to a retirement savings plan, an employee assistance program, and paid sick leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.