General Operations and Culinary Services For more than four decades, Banner Behavioral Health has provided nationally recognized, comprehensive behavioral health care for patients of all ages faced with the challenges of psychiatric, behavioral health, or chemical dependency problems. Six locations in and around Phoenix (including Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale and Sun City West) make it easy for our patients to find help, and easy for you to have the neighborhood and lifestyle you want. Banner Behavioral Health is dedicated to providing safe, confidential and compassionate treatment.
POSITION SUMMARY This position ensures consistency of food presentation and that all recipe requirements are followed. Oversees culinary aspects of food production including menu adjustments, portion sizes, sanitation and nutritional practices. Researches ways to enhance the quality of food preparation services including ingredient changes to promote the uniqueness of recipes.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Creates future menus based on facility counts and previous experience and ensures that these are properly communicated to culinary staff. Leads and oversees the food and nutrition staff in providing excellent meal service while meeting patient and customer satisfaction goals.
2. Ensures that all staff utilize required portion sizes based on selected menu recipes, kitchen practices, and department rules. Also ensures appropriate food presentation and promotes consistent communication between meal preparation staff and serving staff to maintain highest quality and customer satisfaction.
3. Ensures all sanitation and nutritional practices are followed by staff and that regulatory agency, OSHA, and safety guidelines are met.
4. Researches and implements ways to enhance quality of food preparation including modifications to ingredients, portion sizes, and preparation methods that will promote culinary diversity and uniqueness.
5. Inventories food and supplies in assigned areas; determines ordering and food production quantities based upon established par levels and special needs. Monitors and controls operating expenses and other key indicators within assigned areas/shift to meet budget requirements.
6. Resolves customer problems and supports staff development in customer service skills.
7. May supervise department staff.
8. Works under limited supervision and is responsible for consistency of food presentation and recipes/menus, etc. while providing excellent service & meal quality for patients and other customers. External customers: patients and families, vendors, physicians, facility directors / managers / supervisors, employees and the public. Internal customers: facility leaders and staff and department staff.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Must possess the knowledge and abilities in food services preparation normally acquired with three or more years of experience and/or education in similar food services management work. Must have excellent communication and customer service skills. Ability to effectively organize, lead and supervise work areas and teams. Ability to learn food handling regulations and pass certification tests as required. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
All onsite food service equipment including stoves, ovens, steam-jacketed kettles, tilt skillet, broiler, steam table, grill, deep fryer, slicer, Buffalo Chopper, mixer, food carts, dish racks, cleaning equipment and hazardous chemicals used in cleaning and sanitation. Office equipment such as computer, phone, fax machine, and retail service equipment such as point of sale registers, beverage and ice cream dispensers, chaffing dishes, serving utensils. Must have the ability to operate computer business software, email, phone, FAX, etc.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Previous supervisory experience and background in healthcare. Bilingual skills in English/Spanish are a plus. SERVSAFE certification.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.