The Business Office Bookkeeper is a key member of the Austin Waldorf School’s administration, responsible for assisting the Controller in the business and accounting functions of the school. He/She interacts directly with faculty and staff, students and the parent body as well as externally with vendors and other regulatory agencies as required by the position. The Business Office Bookkeeper is hired, evaluated and terminated at the discretion of the Controller in coordination with the Finance Director.
The position requires a commitment to:
• Accuracy, organization, efficiency and timeliness in accounting for the school’s business transactions.
• Accuracy, consistency, timeliness, policy and regulatory compliance and confidentiality in the maintenance of personnel data.
• Supporting the mission and vision of the school and the school’s business office.
• Treating and supporting all individuals in the school community with respect.
Finance/Accounting Activities include:
• Preparing bi-monthly payroll and all related disbursements (child support, bankruptcy, etc.) and deposits, payroll tax report filing and timely deposits, state unemployment filing and payments, deposits to 403(b) accounts, proper recording in the school’s system of accounts, annual W-2/W-3 forms distribution
• Processing of accounts payable invoices and check/credit card payments and proper recording in the school’s system of accounts as well as management of associated tax reporting requirements, i.e., vendor W-9 forms and annual Form 1099/1096 reporting
• Providing monthly reporting of budget spending to internal faculty and administrative staff with individual or departmental budget responsibility
• Reconciliation of the school’s bank, merchant, investment accounts and credit cards
• Processing of accounts receivable invoices and the deposit/posting of payments and credit card transactions for tuition, summer camp, extended care, school store sales, tea garden sales, tuition refund insurance, ALT fees, fundraising receipts and miscellaneous deposits and the proper recording in customer accounts and the school’s system of accounts
• Working closely with Extended Care and Auxiliary Revenues personnel to coordinate billing and collection activities
• Working closely with Juniper Tree personnel to coordinate inventory purchases, deposits, monthly reporting of cost of goods sold, state sales tax filing and payments
• Filing of paid invoices/checks, customer billing/invoices, payroll and personnel documentation, student enrollment contracts and other as needed
• Other duties as needed
This is a full time position is for the 21-22 school year with paid vacation, holidays and benefits according to the school’s published policies as per the Employment Agreement.
HOW TO APPLY If you are interested in joining a warm, hospitable and growing community such as ours, please submit your employment application via our website.
The Austin Waldorf School is a non-profit organization that welcomes applicants of any religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender preference, and national or ethnic origin.
Job Types: Full-time
• Minimum of 5 years experience in bookkeeping, accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll processing preferably in a non-profit environment
• Proficient in the school’s accounting software (currently Quickbooks)
• Proficient in MS Office software and with Excel in particular
• Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines; adapt to and work within the school’s culture and calendar/schedule
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
• Ability to work independently and as team player under the direction of the Finance Director
• Ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems and issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, and policies as established by the Finance Director and the Austin Waldorf School
• Friendly and courteous with ability to establish trust with parents, faculty and staff
• Demonstrated ability to hold financial and parent/faculty/staff matters in confidence
About Austin Waldorf School
The Austin Waldorf School is an established Waldorf school that is financially strong with stable enrollment of nearly 400 students K-12. We are fully accredited with the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America and the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest.
Our beautiful 24-acre campus is situated in the hills outside the Austin city limits. It consists of three kindergartens, eight grade school classrooms, a library, a handwork room, a nine-classroom high school including state-of-the-art science and computer labs, a gymnasium, a eurythmy hall, two art studios, a performing arts center with a 350 seat auditorium and two rehearsal rooms, a school store, gardens and three playgrounds.
Austin is a family-oriented progressive city located in the heart of the Hill Country in central Texas. It is a region of rich natural beauty, surrounded by cedar and live-oak trees and filled with creeks, rivers, and a chain of highland lakes. Austin is the state capital and home of the University of Texas, which offers a myriad of cultural and recreational events. Although we serve the Austin community, our location on the edge of town makes it possible to live in a country s...etting.
The Austin Waldorf School is a non-profit organization that welcomes applicants of any religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender preference, national or ethnic origin.