In accordance with Colorado's EPEWA Equal Pay Transparency Rules.
Banner Health is currently seeking Coder Educators to support our Physician Practices . The Coder Educators will be responsible for providing education to our Providers. This is a remote opportunity.
If you have deep compassion and a strong spirit of innovation, Banner Health is where you can make a dramatic difference in patient care - and the healthcare field.
Become a forward-looking Coding professional at Banner Health. You'll be a key contributor to a nationally recognized, award-winning health care provider that shares your passion for positive change. In fact, for the third time in four years, Truven Health Analytics has named Banner Health one of the Top 15 Health Systems in the U.S.-one of the top five large health systems! Bring your E/M level , auditing and Provider Education experience to this cohesive Education team. This opportunity will foster the professional growth that you are looking for as a Coder.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position assists with the development of education/training materials, conducts and coordinates training and development of Health Information Management staff and other Banner staff as appropriate, including physicians/providers, and provides technical staff training in the usage of information systems components of the medical records database system. Creates and maintains all department training materials, tools and/or records. Conducts new hire skill assessments, department specific orientation, and initial training for work tasks and functions. Provides continuing education and annual regulatory updates.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Assesses and identifies skills, competencies and areas of learning and instruction needed for new hires, staff and department management. Assists with the development of education and training within specified area, which may include preparation of related educational materials.
2. Plans and coordinates the orientation programs for new hires to provide an introduction to the department and facility, to define employment expectations and standards, to provide prerequisite knowledge required, and to train in the basic job skills.
3. Develops and maintains an education calendar and individual continuing education and orientation record for each member of the assigned work group. Develops and conducts programs with educational materials, procedures and exercises that are task/function specific using a variety of learning and evaluation strategies for all staff.
4. Provides for onsite support of trainees, and acts as a knowledge resource for all staff. Problem-solves and troubleshoots issues involving HIMS electronic applications. This may include monitoring and reviewing clinical documentation to ensure that clinical coding is accurate for proper reimbursement and that coding compliance is complete.
5. Works in regional/system-wide teams to develop Health Information Management Systems and Services educational materials and activities, and promotes standardized practices throughout the region and/or company.
6. May collect and/or coordinate the collection of data, compile reports and graphs and present findings at Medical Staff Committee meetings, Clinical Documentation Specialist meetings and/or other appropriate department, facility and system level meetings. May also coordinate and perform clinical pertinence and inter-disciplinary chart reviews, ensuring the reviews meet government and regulatory standards.
7. Maintains a current knowledge relating to Health Information Management Systems by attending educational workshops/conferences, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and/or participating in professional societies. This may also include performing ongoing research to ensure compliance with clinical documentation and/or regulatory guidelines and standards.
8. Works independently under general supervision and utilizes analytical and creative thinking skills, and influencing abilities. Training responsibilities include, but are not limited to, all HIMS staff and staff assigned to related work teams, as well as physicians/providers. Customers include Health Information Management, Financial Services and Clinical Documentation leadership and staff, as well as other members of the integrated healthcare team.
Must possess a current knowledge of business and/or healthcare as normally obtained through the completion of a bachelor's degree in business administration, healthcare administration or related field, plus advanced training in Health Information Management requirements and systems and in adult learning principles.
In the acute care coding environment, requires a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) in an active status with the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). In the ambulatory coding environment, requires Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification or Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P), with RHIA, RHIT or CCS certification preferred. Requires the knowledge typically acquired over three or more years of work experience in healthcare information management. Must be well versed in regulatory requirements for medical record documentation, as well as Medical Staff Rules and Regulations where applicable. Must have demonstrated education and training skills. Medical terminology and an understanding of the laws and regulations associated with medical records functions are required. Must be able to function as part of a team, using effective interpersonal and instructional skills. Must possess excellent written, verbal, and customer service skills, and have the ability to conduct educational needs analysis and to teach effectively to a wide range of comprehension levels.
Must be proficient in the use of common office and presentation software and have an advanced knowledge and experience with computer healthcare applications and hardware.
Previous training/teaching experience and customer service education experience preferred. Creativity and knowledge of adult learning principals preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.