In order to allow the President & CEO to fulfill the responsibilities of—and be an effective leader serving in the best interest of—CalCPA, they will possess the following professional knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of membership building strategies.
- Managing a business and volunteer relationships while growing revenues in a membership organization facing challenges as our market and environment changes.
- Excellent business acumen and understanding of legislative and advocacy process and implications.
- Strong understanding of technology, including current and future implications to members and users.
- A keen sense of the business of continuing professional education, in particular the competitive threats posed by new market entrants. The market awareness and business savvy to continue to position the CalCPA Education Foundation as a highly branded, strategically differentiated provider.
- Strong leadership skills and appropriate support to the Council and Boards, members, and staff.
- Skilled at motivating Board members, staff, and volunteers.
- Adept at identifying issues and opportunities and the related assessment of the impact to CalCPA and its Council and Boards.
- Finance skills, including the ability to read, analyze, and interpret business documents, as well as manage contracts.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels, in oral and written form.
- Ability to identify priorities and switch gears quickly and effectively, while keeping Boards and staff informed, involved, and moving forward.
- Ability to convey the vision and strategy to staff; ability to help them understand changes and align their activities with those changes.
- Ability to connect with a diverse group of stakeholders and build long-lasting relationships.
In addition to the qualities listed above, the President & CEO must possess these characteristics:
- Strategic and visionary; takes an innovative approach to managing resources and opportunities.
- Passion for and long-term commitment to CalCPA’s mission.
- Engaged in the long-term success of the profession.
- Dependable, emotionally intelligent, and self-aware.
- Open-minded and inclusive, seeking and considering ideas and suggestions from others before making decisions; values process as well as outcomes.
- Manages change using a transparent, creative approach that boosts staff morale and enhances programs.
- Personable, approachable, and available to staff, Board, members, and other stakeholders.
- Positive attitude and inspirational personality to navigate uncertainty and rally the team.
- High tolerance for ambiguity in a rapidly changing environment; resilient and adaptable.
- Demonstrates commitment to continued professional growth and development.
- Ability to handle difficult and challenging issues in an effective manner.
- Extensive work experience in a senior management position of a similarly sized trade association, nonprofit, or academic organization.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree preferred.
- Must reside in California.
- Ability to travel throughout California and the United States is required for the sake of building and sustaining member and partner relationships, developing resources, and representing CalCPA and its members.
- CPA or financial background encouraged.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current résumé (Microsoft Word® format preferred) to email@example.com. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
CalCPA is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual preference, genetic information, or any other protected class.
For more information, contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
1025 Connecticut Avenue | Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing Partner
Sharon Beatty| Senior Executive Recruiter
Susan Scott| Senior Executive Recruiter