Under general supervision of the golf course superintendent and 1st Assistant Superintendent, the 2nd Assistant directs and participates in the maintenance of the golf course and grounds. This position requires strong leadership skills used to mentor, motivate and manage a diverse crew. The 2nd Assistant Superintendent will be involved in all aspects of golf course management. Specific emphasis will be on the application of chemicals, fertilizers and plant protectants. Other duties and responsibilities may include monitoring golf course playing conditions, small project management, assisting with seasonal employee training and supervision and performing other tasks in daily course preparation as needed.
1. Assists in the planning, scheduling and supervising maintenance of greens, tees, fairways/rough, bunkers, native areas, wetlands and associated support facilities.
2. Perform cultural practices such as fertilization, spray applications, aerification and record keeping of chemical and fertilizer applications.
3. Possess good knowledge of chemicals and application equipment
4. Assist in the instruction and training of equipment operators in a safe and efficient manner.
5. Strong knowledge of agronomy and Turfgrass management practices with the ability to identify pests and disease problems.
6. Participates in the operation and maintenance of pumps, irrigation system and drainage projects and miscellaneous renovation items.
7. Ability to communicate with staff from various cultural backgrounds encouraged.
8. Assist with various winter activities to include snow removal and winter watering.
9. Ability to think on your feet and to prioritize work schedule to create maximum efficiency while on the job.
10. Must possess customer service skills and strong oral and written communication skills.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS (Minimum requirements)
- Some form of Turfgrass or Horticulture degree/certificate or equivalent experience.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to obtain a Pesticide Applicator License with the Colorado Department of Agriculture; either as a Certified Operator or a Qualified Supervisor.
- Must be detail oriented, accurate and possess good organizational abilities and be capable of handling multiple tasks.
Additional Salary Information: Further and Multiple Benefits can be discussed.
About The Club at Flying Horse
Out of the heart of a legendary landscape comes a champion–The Club at Flying Horse, featuring a private 18-hole Tom Weiskopf Signature Golf Course and newly opened 18 hole Phil Smith design Golf Course, European resort-style Golf Clubhouse, World-class Steakhouse dining, an Athletic Club and Spa and luxurious lodging. Commanding center stage in the grand landscape of Colorado Springs’ best luxury community.