Align yourself with an organization that has a reputation for excellence! Cedars-Sinai was awarded the National Research Corporation's Consumer Choice Award 19 years in a row for providing the highest-quality medical care in Los Angeles. We were also awarded the Advisory Board Company's Workplace of the Year. This recognizes hospitals and health systems nationwide that have outstanding levels of employee engagement. Join us! Discover why U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America's Best Hospitals.
Tell me about the role: The Associate Director reports to the Executive Director and provides direction and support to the Patient Food Services operations and staff. The Associate Director is responsible for the management of operational programs and services, financial oversight, and people management for the department. Collaborates with Executive Director in the strategy, planning, and execution of Food and Nutrition strategic initiatives that will impact the business unit. Directs day to day Patient Foods Services operation comprised of multiple decentralized kitchens producing approximately 2000 meals daily. Works in collaboration with Nursing and Medical Staff, Clinical Nutrition, and Food and Materials Handling to ensure the provision of optimal nutrition care and quality food service as perceived by patients. Directs the unit to meet all governmental and licensure standards and regulations in addition to corporate compliance and other medical center policies. Responsible for the development of and compliance to wage and non-wage budgets. Creates an environment or culture that enables the unit and hospital to fulfill its mission and meet or exceed its goals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* Directs, develops, controls, evaluates and maintains the patient food service program in compliance with Title XXII regulations, Joint Commission, and FDA Food Code achieving application of uniform national Food Safety Standards. Ensure consistency of compliance to departmental and Medical Center policies and governmental regulations.
* Responsible for all aspects of the menu system, which includes market research, product testing, nutritional analysis, employee training, and coordination with Hospitality Services.
* Communicates, problem solves and consults on patient food service and patient satisfaction issues using pertinent operational data such as patient interviews, survey data, and work flow audits.
* Coordinates and directs the continuing education/in-service and competency assessment activities for staff to maintain the coordinated and consistent production and distribution of patient meal products. Develops staffing plans to ensure appropriate staff level based on patient volume and activity. Manages direct reports, work teams, and departmental employees. Responsible for hiring, assigning/scheduling work, performance management, coaching, training, developing employees, disciplinary actions, grievances, and terminations. Recommends and/or develops programs to improve morale, motivation, and retention of staff.
* Develops business and operation plans for the unit and for specific programs by preparing, monitoring and managing the budget to ensure conformity with established budgetary goals. Manages monthly reports to explain variances and make recommendations for corrective action when necessary. Collaborates with the departmental Business Administrator to develop, maintain, and improve purchasing and acquisition, receiving, and accounting processes.
* Leads project management and coordinates activities according to program implementation.
* Develops, revises and maintains policies, protocols, technical resources to support the patient food services program. Represents the department and/or serves as a professional resource addressing patient food service concerns inter-and intra-departmentally. Facilitates communication and consistent follow-through for efficient coordination of services and provision of care. Maintains open lines of communication among subordinates, peers, and management.
* Ensures compliance with state and federal laws, accreditation, professional and regulatory agency standards and licensure requirements. Maintain staff compliance with medical center policies, procedures and protocols.
Teamwork/Customer Relation Responsibilities
Cultivates and maintains strong customer relationships and rapport with stakeholders and/or client groups
Establishes effective working relationships with cross-functional team(s)
Collaborates to problem solve and make decisions to achieve desired outcomes
Team Lead/Supervisory/Management Responsibilities
Responsible for hiring, onboarding, managing schedules, personnel actions, performance reviews, and performance improvement plans.
Supervises the day-to-day work of employees, assigns work, ensures tasks are completed and deadlines are met.
Plans, leads, and directs work of staff to ensure goals and objectives are completed within established budget and deadlines are met.
Providing healthcare for more than 100 years, Cedars-Sinai has evolved into one of the most dynamic and highly renowned medical centers in the world. Along with caring for patients, Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. This attracts exceptional talent to Cedars-Sinai, including world-renowned physician-scientists who seek a place where they can both conduct research and see patients--the ideal formula for discovery and its translation into cures. Our patients benefit from access to doctors at the top of their fields, and our researchers have an ideal community in which to study the impact of healthcare challenges, and reflect that knowledge in their research. The greater Los Angeles area in which Cedars-Sinai resides possesses unparalleled cultural and ethnic diversity which offers outstanding opportunities for translational and clinical research and a dynamic environment for medical education.Although community based, Cedars-Sinai is a major t...eaching hospital affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Cedars-Sinai has highly competitive graduate medical education programs in more than 50 specialty and subspecialty areas, a graduate program in biomedical sciences and translational medicine, a clinical scholars program directed towards junior physicians with aspirations to become clinical scientists, and post graduate training opportunities.There are more than 250 full-time faculty members at Cedars-Sinai. The voluntary medical staff, comprised of more than 2,200 specialty board-certified or board-qualified physicians, represent all of the specialties and subspecialties and collaborate with full-time medical staff in the teaching responsibilities of the graduate medical education programs.