The Virtual Patient Observation Technician (VPOT) provides constant, real-time video monitoring of assigned patients to enhance safety. The VPOT verbally redirects the patient from engaging in at-risk behaviors and directly communicates with nursing staff if the patient needs further intervention or requires assistance.
The VPOT practices safety measures and documents observations according to standards. The technician participates in performance improvement and quality initiatives, demonstrates personal and professional effectiveness and promotes a customer-friendly environment by utilizing ServiceFirst behaviors and Language of Caring techniques while interacting with patients, families, and staff members.
1. Education/Licensure/Specialized Training:
a. Education: High School diploma or the equivalent plus technical skills/training appropriate to the specialty area.
b. Licensure/Certification: Texas Nursing Assistant Certification; or
Medical Assistant certification from one of the following: American Medical Technologists (AMT) American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) National Healthcareer Association (NHA) National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP)
2. Work Experience: Two (2) years related clinical experience required Related specialty experience preferred (i.e., direct patient care, virtual observation, telemetry technician, hospital environment, experience in nursing program clinical rotations).
3. Management Experience: N/A
4. Equipment Operated: Basic computer, wireless telephone, intercom/headset communication
1. Communication Skills: Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact) Bilingual Skills Preferred Yes Language(s): English/Spanish Writing /Composing: Correspondence / Reports
2. Other Skills: Medical Terms, PC
3. Advanced Education: N/A
4. Work Schedule: Weekends, Holidays, Flexible
5. Other Requirements: a. Comfortable using computer technology and sitting for long periods of time in front of a computer screen b. Able to analyze and synthesize patient safety information to determine the course of action. c. Able to make quick decisions under pressure, and manages stress appropriately d. Well-organized, efficient multi-tasker able to prioritize simultaneous and continuous monitoring of multiple patients on one screen while on duty e. Attention to detail, able to focus on a particular patient, object or task for an extended period of time f. Good telephone etiquette
RESPONSIBLE TO: Designated Supervisor, Director/Program Manager
EMPLOYEES SUPERVISED: No
Internal Number: 149970
About Harris Health System
The Harris Health System is a fully integrated healthcare system that cares for all residents of Harris County, Texas. We are the first accredited healthcare institution in Harris County to be designated by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as a Patient-Centered Medical Home, and are one of the largest systems in the country to achieve the quality standard. Our system includes 23 community health centers, five school-based clinics, a dental center and dialysis center, mobile health units, a rehabilitation and specialty hospital and two full-service hospitals.Ben Taub Hospital is a world renowned Level I Trauma Center with 586 licensed acute-care beds and provides a wide range of specialty care outpatient services. Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital is a 328 licensed bed acute-care hospital with a newly expanded Level III trauma center and a distinguished regional center for neonatal intensive care for high-risk deliveries.Harris Health is a teaching system for Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth). We train the next generation of healthcare providers on the latest medical procedures and technological breakthroughs.With... our fully integrated electronic medical records system, we offer patients the convenience and assurance that their medical history is accurate, safe and available when and where it is needed. Our Medical Home designation ensures that we offer a full range of preventive, specialty and acute care services for the entire family.