At the Bariatric Surgery Center at Denver Health, we offer a comprehensive program to support patients along their weight-loss journeys. Surgery alone is not a cure for obesity, but with a strong commitment to the process and the support of the Denver Health team, it will help our patients reach their goals. The facility and its medical staff provide the structure, process, and personnel to obtain and maintain the quality standards of the MBSAQIP in caring for metabolic and bariatric surgical patients. The administrative and medical staff commit to broad cooperation in order to improve the quality of metabolic and bariatric surgical care provided at the center. The Metabolic and Bariatric Surgical Clinical Reviewer (MBSCR) will be responsible for maintaining the data integrity of the bariatric program. This will include recording cases into an institutional database, as well as monitoring and reporting bariatric complications to the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Quality Improvement Program. They will be expected to work with the bariatric team and attend bariatric meetings. They will also assist the Bariatric Coordinator with administrative tasks.
* Collect and submit accurate, complete, and timely data to the MBSAQIP Data Registry Platform. This task is accomplished through high-quality data compilation, documentation, and entry of 100%of metabolic and bariatric procedures performed at the Center into the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) Data Registry Platform.* Work closely with the members of the metabolic and bariatric and general surgery departments to identify opportunities for clinical quality improvement and other special projects that may be identified. * Participates in monthly program teleconferences* Participates in data compilation for audits and accreditation and re-accreditation or site visits* Periodically attends voluntary in-person professional development seminars offered at various annual meetings such as ASMBS, ACS NSQQIP, or ACS Clinical Congress* Submits monthly Quality Reports to the MBS Coordinator* Attends the MBS Committee monthly meetings.* Provides administrative support for the Bariatric Medical Director and Bariatric Coordinator. * Provides clerical and technical support within the Department of Surgery/Bariatrics. * Maintains calendars, schedules, telephone conferences, meetings upon request. * Assist with making travel arrangement for conferences* Assists with making packets for bariatric seminar, stuffing folders, pre-stamped envelopes, reminder calls for bariatric seminar* Attends committee meetings. Ability to compile, transcribe, distribute minutes of meetings. * Assists in general operations of the office; ordering supplies, maintain department files* Software skills Microsoft outlook, work, power point and Excel* Ability to prioritize and lead tasks to achieve daily work expectations without continual directions form supervisor* Follows written and verbal directions and completes assignment's without unnecessary delays* Assists in the maintenance and updated information of Bariatric department website and Bariatric subsite* Collects and enters data in spreadsheets and databases for monthly reports* Prepares purchase orders and payment requests according to purchasing and accounts payable policies and procedures* Successfully completes the MBSCR Online Training Program* Other duties as assigned.
* High school diploma and one year of related experience required.
* Bachelor's degree preferred.
* Related experience is defined as experience in a hospital surgery department, surgery clinic, clinical research or medical records.
* Clinical chart review and abstraction experience required.
* Experience gathering information in a complex hospital system environment preferred.
* Experience sharing information across functions preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Data collection and identification of areas for quality improvement requires knowledge and experience in clinical chart review.
* The ability to track health information through various sources such as medical records, surgery clinics, death index, direct patient contact, accounts payable, and legal counsel.
* The ability to identify opportunities to report metabolic and bariatric data to relevant groups or meetings (for example, morbidity and mortality, infection control, quality management, and administration Ability to build relationships and gain alignment for clinical support and be able to articulate questions to receive an appropriate level of support from superiors and peers.
* Ability to interact with all members of the bariatric surgical team and administrative staff in a professional and courteous manner.
* Ability to manage data entry deadlines.
* Quality improvement or patient safety knowledge preferred.
* HIPAA regulations and standards knowledge preferred
* Intermediate statistical knowledge preferred.Computers and Technology
* Ability to use scheduling systems and coordinate meetings, reserve conference rooms space and arrange equipment as needed.
* The ability to learn and utilize new software and Web applications for data entry and report generation.
* The candidate should have some computer experience with Microsoft Office and basic statistical skills. Epic experience is strongly preferred.
Certificates, Licenses and Registration
* Certified Medical Bariatric Surgery Clinical Reviewer (MBSCR) certification preferred.
Location Denver Health
Work Type Part time
All job applicants for safety-sensitive positions must pass a pre-employment drug test, once a conditional offer of employment has been made.
Denver Health is an integrated, efficient, high-quality academic health care system that is considered a model for the nation. The Denver Health system includes the Rocky Mountain Regional Level I Trauma Center, a 525-bed acute care medical center, Denver's 911 emergency medical response system, 8 family health centers, 15 school-based health centers, the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, the Denver Public Health Department, an HMO, and The Denver Health Foundation.
As Colorado's primary safety net institution, Denver Health is a mission-driven organization that has provided more than $3.3 billion in care for the uninsured in the last ten years. Denver Health is a leader in performance and quality improvements and remains financially secure, in part, due to its nationally recognized implementation of lean principles in healthcare. Denver Health is a major resource to the community, serving approximately 185,000 individuals and 67,000 children a year.
Located just south of downtown Denver, Denver Health is just minutes away from many of the cultural and recreational activities Denver has to offer.
We strongly support diversity in the workforce and Denver Health is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
"Denver Health is committed to provide equal treatment and equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Denver Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class."
Internal Number: 1016
About Denver Health
Take your career to the next level at Denver Health, where we offer a robust benefits package and endless opportunities for growth. Denver Health is a nationally-ranked, locally-trusted, premier healthcare institution located in the heart of Denver, Colorado.Twenty-five percent of all Denver residents, or approximately 150,000 individuals, receive their health care here. We are known as an integrated health care system that encompasses multidisciplinary academic specialties, a community health system, a level I adult trauma center, pediatric emergency and urgent care center home to Denver Public Health and many of the nation’s leaders in medicine.