This Los Angeles based position is responsible for Human Resource management in our Los Angeles and Century City offices. The incumbent will be an integral part of the expansion of the Southern California market and will perform diverse assignments concerning employee relations, staffing, organizational development, training, and special projects as assigned. Through consulting with the Director of Human Resources, this position will also plan effective human resource utilization and organizational alignment, serving as an organizational consultant to managers and employees concerning HR-related issues in accordance with firm policy, local, state and federal laws. This position requires high visibility with an emphasis on maintaining employee morale.
· Serve as a consultant and coach to managers, supervisors and employees on all human resource-related activities.
· Counsel and coach management and employees in addressing performance and behavioral issues.
· Work with managers and supervisors to identify and solve problems that inhibit employee satisfaction.
· Advise managers and supervisors to ensure compliance with local, state and federal statutes and regulations.
· Keep current with California labor laws and notify the Firmwide HR department of any new legal requirements.
· Educate and consult managers and supervisors in the areas of employee selection, assimilation, development, performance management (including writing evaluations and file documentation) and retention.
· Under direction of Chief Human Resources Officer, Director of Human Resources or other Firm Management, investigate and help determine management response to employee complaints (e.g., harassment, discrimination, unfair treatment, and other violations of firm policy) and investigate and respond to administrative charges (EEOC charges, etc.).
· Manage and resolve employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations.
· Manage the performance management process for support staff, including implementation of the staff compensation program. May also be called upon to assist with performance management process for legal personnel.
· Respond to ad hoc requests and concerns from attorneys and staff, including the Business Manager, Chief Human Resources Officer, and Director of Human Resources. · Participate in Firmwide HR projects, as assigned. · Organize office sponsored events (seasonal celebrations, wellness events, etc.) · Travel to other offices to help with special projects or during periods of staff transition. · Work closely with Southern California Business Manager and Legal Recruiting Manager. · Work in excess of 40 hours per week as needed. § Other duties, as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related professional discipline required. Advanced degree and/or professional certifications consider a plus. Experience: Must have a minimum of five years demonstrated HR generalist experience and supervisory experience, preferably in a law firm or other service environment. Skills: Strong leadership, management, problem solving, organizational and PC skills. Understanding, influencing and serving others are important attributes in this position. Must have the ability to select, develop and motivate people and create a positive team environment. The ability to resolve human resource issues quickly and effectively and determine an appropriate course of action for the organization are required. Must be flexible, have well developed interpersonal skills and be able to interact with employees at all levels of the firm as well as vendors and others outside the firm. Able to effectively manage multiple priorities, and adapt to constantly changing priorities. Familiarity/experience with Federal, state, and local regulations.
About Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith is a global relationship law firm with more than 1,800 lawyers in 28 offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.Founded in 1877, the firm represents leading international businesses, from Fortune 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises. Its lawyers provide litigation and other dispute resolution services in multi-jurisdictional and other high-stakes matters; deliver regulatory counsel; and execute the full range of strategic domestic and cross-border transactions. Reed Smith is a preeminent advisor to industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, advertising, entertainment and media, shipping and transport, energy and natural resources, real estate, manufacturing, technology, and education. For more information, visit reedsmith.com.