Description The Accountant is responsible for supporting the accurate and timely accounting and financial reporting for the American Indian College Fund. The position will support investment and budget management, reporting and analysis, and provide back-up for day-to-day accounting functions.
This position has significant contact with all fund staff regarding financial information and communicates with external vendor partners.
Essential Job Functions 1. Conducts monthly investment allocations and reconciliations a. Endowment investments b. Program and operational investments c. Trust investments
2. Manage monthly program/project budget to actual reports a. Work with program officers and project managers to create budget to actual templates, including clarifying account coding for budget line items b. Update budget to actual reports monthly c. Review monthly reports with program officers and project managers to ensure accuracy of accounting and appropriate budget management
3. Complete monthly organizational and department budget to actual reports, and review and analyze at organizational level a. Post monthly departmental budget to actual reports and directly share with department leads b. Provide organizational monthly budget to actual variance report, including variance explanations
4. Support annual budget creation process
5. Provide quarterly reporting on allocation of disbursements to TCUs by program categories and in total
6. Support all Board reporting
7. Support annual audit and 990 completion
8. Support additional month and year-end accounting processes as needed
9. Provide back-up support for day-to-day accounting functions (i.e. accounts payable processes, donor batch posting)
Competencies • Skilled in general accounting, allocation, and reconciliation theory and process • High level skill and comfort with accounting systems, payroll systems, Excel and Word • High level of attention to detail and accuracy • Strong written and verbal communication skills • Ability to hold oneself and others accountable • Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others • Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
Education/ Experience • Associates or bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance • 3+ years accounting experience
Preferred Qualifications: • Experience in non-profit fund accounting • Experience with budget management • Experience with investment earnings accounting and allocation • Experience with Financial Edge
Work Environment and Physical Activities
• Professional office setting • Visual acuity is essential in the performance of this job • Constant keyboarding makes the ability to use a computer for long periods of time essential • Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds
Note: The intent is not to provide an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this position. Incumbent may perform other duties as assigned.
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com Please put your name and the job title in the subject line.
The American Indian College Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About American Indian College Fund
At the American Indian College Fund we have one unwavering purpose – increasing the number of American Indians who hold college degrees. Currently only 14% of American Indians have a college degree – less than half the national average. Every year, we empower more than 4,000 American Indian students to start and stay in school, complete their degrees and launch careers that benefit us all. We have provided almost 126,000 scholarships and $193 million to support American Indian communities. We intend to double our impact in the next five years.
We are the nation’s largest and highest-rated American Indian nonprofit organization changing the face of higher education today – one American Indian at a time. We provide more scholarships to American Indians than anyone else, and we’re the only organization that enhances this individualized financial support by funding accredited, tribally controlled colleges and universities and contributing to programs that ensure student success – starting before the first day of preschool and continuing beyond students’ first day of their first career job.