EvergreenHealth Hospice is seeking a dynamic Director of Hospice to lead one of the country’s top hospice programs.
The Director of Hospice oversees both the Hospice Home Care program, serving over 500 patients every day across two counties in the Seattle area, and the 15-bed inpatient Hospice Care Center. They will lead in collaboration with a team of experienced managers, five board-certified physicians, and a staff of over 200 clinicians and support staff as well as 200+ dedicated volunteers. The EvergreenHealth organization is a not for profit provider who is widely recognized for its exceptional patient care, highly engaged staff, and national leadership on home care and end of life care. Although our home offices are located in Kirkland, we provide care throughout King and Snohomish counties and work with all major hospitals and healthcare providers in our community.
In addition to overseeing one of the nation’s largest and most respected Hospice programs, the Director of Hospice will lead the Hospice team in its pursuit of continuous improvement in the quality of care that patients and their families receive before, during, and after death. Working in close partnership with EvergreenHealth’s Palliative Care program within a healthcare system that is highly committed to state-of-the-art care at the end of life, EvergreenHealth Hospice’s focus is on ensuring that patients and their families receive timely, complete, and compassionate care that is aligned with their values.
Our leadership and staff are highly engaged in clinical improvement efforts and patient advocacy in local, state, and national arenas, and our publicly-reported patient satisfaction outcomes demonstrate our success and leadership in the field at the national level. We believe that the foundation of our success is the commitment of our staff to the community we serve, and we seek a director with the energy and passion to match. Our leadership serve in various roles on the boards and committees of national, state and community associations including NAHC, NHPCO, WSHPCO, HCAW and other associations who advance and innovate end of life care.
Our current director is relocating to be closer to family. We seek an innovative, thoughtful leader of leaders who is passionate about end of life care and is seeking a long term leadership position in an organization with growth potential. The Director is a key member of the Executive Leadership Team of EvergreenHealth’s Home Care Division and directly informs strategy, builds upon a strong existing culture and leads overall direction for this thriving program.
The Director of Hospice assumes accountability and responsibility for all Hospice clinical services and is responsible for the overall quality of service and for planning, developing, organizing, integrating, and directing clinical programs, staff, and budget in support of the organizational goals and commitments.
1. Assumes responsibility for the Hospice service line, including but not limited to Hospice Care nursing, social work, spiritual care, bereavement, volunteer services, quality improvement, and compliance.
2. Facilitates patient care including organization and management within established conditions of participation, policies, procedures, standards of care, budgetary parameters and strategic objectives.
3. Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates patient care.
4. Develops and implements new programs as indicated in order to meet identified needs, improve clinical outcomes, and support the continuum of patient care.
5. Assumes responsibility for the design of workflow procedures and office practices.
6. Works with managers and staff to ensure appropriate documentation of care for all hospice patients.
7. Assumes responsibility for developing and participating in performance improvement activities in accordance with organizational plans.
8. Provides and supports educational opportunities and activities.
9. Collaborates with and supports established nursing organization structures within the EvergreenHealth system.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
License, Certification, Education or Experience:
REQUIRED for the position:
Current license in a health care field to practice in Washington State
5 years of experience in Home Health, Palliative Care, and/or Hospice
3 years of Supervisory experience in Home Health, Palliative Care and/or Hospice
Understanding of leadership principles and possession of advanced leadership skills
Current knowledge of federal, state, and Joint Commission regulations and requirements.
Knowledge of continuous quality improvement principles and procedures
Understanding of financial management, budgeting skills, and a commitment to the provision of cost-effective care
Current BLS certification by date of hire
DESIRED for the position:
•Master degree in applicable field
Additional Salary Information: Up to 15% Bonus potential
Internal Number: 31280
About EvergreenHealth Home Care Services
EvergreenHealth is an integrated two-hospital healthcare system offering a breadth of services and programs that is among the most comprehensive in the region. Formed in 1972 as a public hospital district, we now serve nearly 850,000 residents of our service area in north King and south Snohomish counties, with medical facilities located throughout the area for easy access. Our main campus is located in Kirkland, WA and includes a 318-bed medical center and four medical specialty buildings.