The purpose of this position is to provide technical support for patient care activities in the laboratory by performing data entry, billing, client services, sample processing, resulting, filing, and laboratory procedures. The major duty is to prepare patient specimens for laboratory testing, which includes determining specimen acceptability, answering telephone inquiries, and multi-tasking while working quickly and accurately. Testing is performed in the following area: Hematology. The person filling this position will be of professional demeanor and perform their duties with an attitude which will best serve the clients of the department, OHSU, and outside the organization.
1. Specimen receipt and processing
- Loads specimens onto automation line for processing
- Centrifuges samples and transfers to appropriately labeled containers
- Accurately measures specimens, records volumes, and determines if sample quality and quantity sufficient for testing
- Directs samples to technologists and testing areas either manually or using the automation lines, or stores samples for future testing.
- Makes slides for staining
- Notifies technologists or appropriate lab when priority work is received
- Determines acceptability of specimens received and calls ward of
physician to clarify orders or advise of unacceptable samples.
2. Performs data entry for samples received for testing
- Checks accuracy of specimens, requisitions, labels
- Performs computer entry in Epic HIS system
- Handles and processes samples for many labs on and off campus
- Accurately labels samples, requisitions, and appropriate specimen containers
- Is responsible to see that all samples are logged in to the lab and triaged in a timely manner
3. Coordinates and prepares samples to be shipped to outside labs for patient care and drug study testing
- Enters test requests into dedicated referral lab computer
- Fills out paperwork carefully and thoroughly to ensure accurate testing
- Packs infectious shipping samples per IATA standards
- Utilizes electronic systems provided by referral labs orders to transmit
4. Trains new employees
5. Performs client services duties
-Tracks missing specimens and resolves discrepancies quickly and professionally
- Answers multi-line telephone, and provides a pleasant and professional telephone manner as frontline representative of the laboratory
- Assists needs of callers in all aspects of laboratory operations
- Transfers or refers calls or confers with other areas of lab or hospital as needed
6. Performs whole blood sedimentation rates. Performs QC and instrument maintenance and documents results in Epic.
7. OTHER DUTIES:
\u2022 Assists with miscellaneous tasks as requested, such as retrieving specimens, making phone calls, issuing credits, filing requisitions, etc.
\u2022 Reports potential compliance problems using the reporting processes as outlined in the Code of Conduct.
\u2022 Completes competency exercises, annual review of policy & procedure manuals and safety review.
\u2022 Attends and participates in training programs and staff meetings.
\u2022 Ability to work independently within established guidelines, to adjust to rapidly changing priorities, to communicate and work effectively within a group.
\u2022 Performs requirements for Staff Members as outlined in Compliance Roles and Responsibilities in OHSU Hospitals and Clinics and understands and complies with the Code of Conduct, OHSU and departmental policies and procedures, and other applicable procedures, rules and regulations.
\u2022 Communicates and works effectively as part of a team, and interacts with a variety of clients including doctors, nurses, laboratory staff and patients, maintaining a customer service focus at all times.
\u2022 Carries out job responsibilities ethically, professionally, and with personal integrity, and functions as part of the team exhibiting excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills.
As the state's only health and research university, OHSU brings together patient care, research, education of the next generation of health care providers and scientists and community service to improve the health and well-being of all Oregonians.The university is a conduit for learning for more than 2,800 students, providing training to interns, residents and fellows in postgraduate medical and research. It is the only place in Oregon that grants doctoral degrees in medicine, dentistry and nursing. OHSU cares for more than 251,000 patients each year from around the region and takes a leadership role in contributing to solutions involving the health of the state and the nation, such as health care access and transparency, ethics and workforce shortage. Beyond providing critical health care services, quality education and cutting-edge research, OHSU also is a key economic and social force in the Northwest. With an annual operating budget of $2.06 billion and more than 14,000 employees, OHSU is Portland?s largest employer. Its size contributes to its ability to provide... many services and community support activities not found anywhere else in Oregon. For more information visit http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/index.cfm