The patient Placement Coordinator utilizes his/her knowledge and expertise to facilitate patient throughput. This dynamic office manages multiple phone lines while assigning patients accurately and timely, minimizing patient delays. The Patient Placement Coordinator works with highly sensitive and confidential patient information while performing bed control activities as well as reconciling the OR daily schedule. Flexibility is required of the Patient Placement Coordinator as to cover all shifts including vacations, sick calls, and holiday coverage.
1. Coordinate and strategize the complex placement of incoming clinic admissions, inter-hospital transfers, and post-operative patients in accordance with hospital policies, using EPIC Bed Planning software.
2. Communicate ongoing changes and challenges to the Bed Flow Manager (BFM) and/or Administrator on Duty (AOD), and escalate concerns to the Physician on Duty as needed.
3. Communicate with charge nurses, clinic staff, and physician teams re: patient bed assignments for both scheduled and unscheduled admits.
4. Accurately relay information regarding diagnosis and special needs.
5. Engage in continual problem solving to maintain positive patient flow under tight time frames and limited bed resources; multitask according to changing priorities.
6. Collaborate with the OHSU Transfer Center to ensure timely bed assignments, particularly for emergent transfers.
7. Collaborate with BFM and AOD to manage ICU patient flow.
8. Collaborate with housekeeping to manage and prioritize patient room cleaning.
9. Manage patient assignments for the internal medicine teams.
10. Prepare for daily bed meeting and assess for admission capacity by communicating with relevant charge nurses in a timely manner; assess need for overflow plan.
11. Reconcile Operating Room schedule for next OR day. This includes:
Comparing OR schedule and reservation list.
Contacting schedulers for error reconciliation
Correcting errors in EPIC
Identify potential problems and involve the Bed Flow Manager
12. Prepare end of shift report for manager including census justification
As the state's only health and research university, OHSU brings together patient care, research, education of the next generation of health care providers and scientists and community service to improve the health and well-being of all Oregonians.The university is a conduit for learning for more than 2,800 students, providing training to interns, residents and fellows in postgraduate medical and research. It is the only place in Oregon that grants doctoral degrees in medicine, dentistry and nursing. OHSU cares for more than 251,000 patients each year from around the region and takes a leadership role in contributing to solutions involving the health of the state and the nation, such as health care access and transparency, ethics and workforce shortage. Beyond providing critical health care services, quality education and cutting-edge research, OHSU also is a key economic and social force in the Northwest. With an annual operating budget of $2.06 billion and more than 14,000 employees, OHSU is Portland?s largest employer. Its size contributes to its ability to provide... many services and community support activities not found anywhere else in Oregon. For more information visit http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/index.cfm