SUMMARY: The Director of Development is responsible for developing and maintaining a portfolio of donors and donor prospects. This position's focus will be to develop a strong donor base for the CBU Athletics Program. The position will focus primarily on the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major gifts from individuals and organizations, as well as fulfilling specific assignments as requested.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Responsible for meeting annual fundraising goals – primarily through major gifts.
2. Works with the Associate Vice President for University Advancement in setting goals/metrics, and implementing donor cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned portfolio; as well as developing specific athletics annual fund goals and strategies with the Associate Director of Development for Athletics.
3. Plans, implements and manages major gift solicitations ($10,000 and above) for donors and donor prospects within assigned portfolio.
4. Direct cultivation and management of the Lancer Athletics Association (LAA).
5. Supervises the Associate Director of Development for Athletics (ADoD) and all athletics-related fundraising programs, events, materials, etc.
6. Plans, organizes, and effectively executes the annual Lancer Golf Classic golf tournament, all LAA pregame events, and athletic alumni gatherings, in close association with the ADoD.
7. Builds relationships with donors and donor prospects through regular face-to-face visits, calls, emails, and mailings and implements effective moves management strategies within assigned portfolio. 8. Submits and maintains regular contact and activity reports on all donor-related activities through Raiser’s Edge NXT.
9. Effectively collaborates with Director of Athletics and head coaches to develop strategies for the successful completion of specific fundraising initiatives and capital projects.
10. Introduces gift planning vehicles, when appropriate, to successfully maintain a donor-centric approach to philanthropy.
11. Develops major gift proposals for individuals and corporations ($10,000 and above).
12. Maintains a winsome and professional relationship with the community and organizations that have an interest in, or provide support to, California Baptist University.
13. Attends and/or represents the University at community events, alumni/parent events, athletic events, and other special events in assigned areas and on campus.
14. Pursues professional development opportunities regarding fundraising techniques by attending conferences, reading books, and subscribing to applicable publications.
15. Maintains oversight of athletics-specific development budget.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILTIES: Directly supervises the Associate Director of Development for Athletics. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Demonstrated effectiveness in fundraising, prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors, or an area that demonstrated a high level of interpersonal and communication skills.
Ability to articulate an understanding of and have a passion for Christian higher education.
Knowledge of fundraising systems and campaigns.
Financial acumen and the ability to understand financial, business, and legal concepts.
Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form. ? Knowledge, understanding and balanced appreciation of all aspects of fundraising.
Ability to participate in maintaining a positive and winsome work environment that promotes advancing University Advancement, and serve as an advocate for UA within the entire CBU community.
Internal motivation to accomplish objectives and tasks (a self-starter).
Ability to work independently of daily supervision.
Ability to work flexible hours including mornings or evenings, and occasional weekends.
Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects at a time.
Ability to use independent judgment, manage and impart confidential information and maintain confidentiality.
Ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, student body and the community.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (extremely high people skills, winsome).
Ability to relate well to a wide variety of personalities, ages, and careers.
Demonstrated professionalism, persistence, initiative, and tact in building and maintaining relationships.
Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
Ability to maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
Ability to ask and close major and planned gifts.
Has an understanding of, and appreciation for, the external importance of the CBU Athletics program; as well as the crucial development of student athletes during their time with the University.
Internal Number: S704P
About California Baptist University
California Baptist University (CBU) is one of the top private Christian colleges and universities in Southern California. CBU offers bachelor's, master's and credential programs in Riverside, San Bernardino and online.
California Baptist University believes each person has been created for a purpose. CBU strives to help students understand and engage this purpose by providing a Christ-centered educational experience that integrates academics with spiritual and social development opportunities. Graduates are challenged to become individuals whose skills, integrity and sense of purpose glorify God and distinguish them in the workplace and in the world.
•Founded in 1950 by the California Southern Baptist Convention
•Fall 2018 enrollment of 10,486 students
•CBU offers degrees at the associate, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels •At the undergraduate level CBU offers 76 majors and 52 minors
•At the graduate level CBU offers 31 master's and three doctoral programs
•100% Christian faculty and staff
•2017 U.S. News & World Report Best Regional University
•Accreditations and approvals include •Western Association of Schools and Colleges
•Califor...nia Commission on Teacher Credentialing
•Board of Behavioral Science Examiners
•Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
•National Association of Schools of Music
•State of California Board of Registered Nursing
•Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
•Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
•Board of Registered Nurses
•American Council for Construction Education
•CBU's bachelor degree programs in civil engineering (BSCE), electrical and computer engineering (BSECE) and mechanical engineering (BSME) have been accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Riverside Campus Profile
The beautiful 160-acre main campus of California Baptist University is situated in the heart of Riverside's historic Magnolia Avenue district just a short drive from popular beaches and mountain resorts. The main campus is comprised of more than 30 buildings featuring the 94,800 sq. ft. Eugene and Billie Yeager Center, separate men's and women's residence halls, multiple apartment complexes and modular housing, the 270-seat Wallace Theater, a fitness center, one of the region's largest aquatic centers, the Annie Gabriel Library, the Van Dyne Gym and the JoAnn Hawkins Music building, one of the nation's most advanced music production and recording facilities. The latest architectural addition to campus is a 5,050 seat, 153,000 sq. ft. Events Center.
CBU Lancers Athletics
CBU's Lancers athletic program is gaining recognition as one of the best in the nation with numerous regional and national championship teams in a variety of sports, including men's and women's basketball, men's and women's swimming, men's and women's golf, softball, baseball and wrestling.
CBU in the Region
CBU has established extension sites throughout Riverside and San Bernardino counties with more being planned in response to the growing demand for CBU's distinctive faith-based, working-adult degree programs. School districts, law enforcement agencies, hospitals, churches and businesses seek out and hold CBU graduates in high regard for their unique combination of competence, confidence and compassion.
CBU's Spiritual Mission
In addition to community involvement through a variety of service projects and activities, California Baptist University also supports a wide range of highly active international programs. Included are educational partnerships with a number of universities in Europe and Asia. Further, the CBU International Service Projects program annually sends scores of student teams throughout the world to teach and participate in recreation, construction and infrastructure.