Sidwell Friends School, a pre-kindergarten through grade 12, co-ed, Quaker day school located in Washington, DC, seeks an Assistant Head of School beginning July 1, 2019. The AHOS reports directly to the Head of School and is responsible for helping to implement the strategic and accreditation action plans, recruiting faculty and senior administrators, and representing and collaborating with the Head of School, the Administrative Council, faculty, and trustees in several key areas of responsibility. In the Head of School’s absence, the AHOS assumes primary responsibility for the academic operation of the School.
· Meets routinely with the Head of School, Administrative Council, and Principals’ Group; attends Board of Trustees meetings and committee meetings, as appropriate.
· Represents the Head of School at relevant gatherings, including athletic contests, performances, and fundraising events scheduled outside of normal school hours.
· Oversees, in conjunction with the Director of Special Projects, the coordination and implementation of strategic planning and accreditation processes, updating the Board of Trustees on progress, and drafting communications, as appropriate, to the broader community.
· Assumes primary responsibility for launching and overseeing a center for teaching research and development, a major strategic initiative.
· Oversees, with support from Human Resources, the Divisional Principals, Athletic Director, and Department Chairs, hiring for all academic and senior administrative searches, working directly with search firms and attending appropriate conferences to build a pipeline of competitive candidates.
· Develops and oversees--in conjunction with the Director of Human Resources and the Director of Equity, Justice, and Community--new faculty orientation and mentorship programs.
· Convenes the Faculty Professional Development Committee; oversees and plans all-school professional development in collaboration with principals and faculty; administers Venture Grant, Sabbatical, Faculty/Staff Education Grants, Faculty Summer Travel and Sabbatical Grants, and other all-school faculty education programs.
· Convenes the Academic Coordination Group and oversees curricular review processes in accordance with the Charter of Governance; assures coherence in interdivisional curricular scope and sequence.
· Represents the Head of School, as necessary, in faculty performance reviews with the Principals, the Director of Athletics, and the Director of Human Resources.
· Serves as a final point of appeal for the Head of School’s Office for student disciplinary matters, academic disputes, and other policy matters with students and/or their parents.
· Supervises the Director of Health Services and the Environmental Advisory Group.
· Stays current on relevant developments in education and school management.
The ideal candidate must be an outstanding communicator and deep listener who appreciates and understands diverse perspectives, values intellectual exchange and respectful disagreement, embraces Quaker principles, and has a demonstrated ability to thrive in a diverse community. The ideal candidate will be highly organized and be able to prioritize and manage multiple projects; have well-developed collaboration skills; possess a kind and caring disposition and the stamina and resilience to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment; demonstrate a willingness to embrace complexity and the principles of servant leadership, as well as the flexibility and joyfulness that are required to serve in a pre-K through grade 12 institution. The ideal candidate will have had demonstrated success as a classroom teacher and at least seven years of high-level administrative experience. A master’s degree (or higher) is preferred. Successful experience in Quaker schools or organizations would be an asset.
About Sidwell Friends School
Sidwell Friends prides itself in offering a high quality educational experience to those who will lead the next generation. To that end, we are seeking qualified individuals with the knowledge, skills and abilities to enhance the student experience at Sidwell Friends.