POSITION PURPOSE: The Referral Coordination Specialist is responsible for being the primary contact for Vail Health Clinic providers and surgeons to organize, coordinate, request all necessary medical records, scan, schedule, and work to pre-authorize procedures and surgeries. Formulates plans and assists the patient to navigate through their continuum of care as an outpatient at Vail Health. Assists clinical staff with outgoing and incoming referrals by scheduling new patients for clinic visits, preoperative and postoperative appointments, procedures, diagnostic tests, and surgical admissions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Coordinates scheduling of all new referrals for Vail Health Clinics. Including surgeries, procedures, and clinic visits. Attention to appropriate provider block utilization, schedule maintenance, preparation/distribution of schedules, confirmation phone calls.
2. Advises Insurance Verification of proposed provider visit or hospital surgery as soon as the decision is made so benefits can be verified and financial policies discussed.
3. Works closely with all clinical staff, providers, schedulers, and front desk staff to improve the flow of patient movement.
4. Returns phone calls with careful documentation in the electronic medical record.
5. Navigator for surgical oncology patient continuum of care.
6. Assists with office administrative duties as needed, including supply management.
7. Assists with orienting new staff.
8. Demonstrates ability to triage incoming patientsâ™ request for services.
9. Role models the principles of a Just Culture.
10. Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
Experience: Two years of experience in a physician practice preferred.
Internal Number: 8016
About Vail Health
Vail Health, formerly Vail Valley Medical Center, is a nonprofit community health care system serving patients and guests from around the world. Locally operated and governed by a volunteer board of directors, Vail Health includes a 56-bed hospital, accredited by the Joint Commission. Our 24/7 emergency department in Vail is a Level III Trauma Center with a nearby helipad for necessary medical transports. Vail Health provides a wide array of services and access points including Beaver Creek Medical Center, urgent care clinics in Avon and Gypsum, our Edwards medical campus, Eagle Healthcare Center and a multispecialty clinic in Frisco. Howard Head Sports Medicine offers physical therapy services at 10 locations and works closely with our internationally renowned orthopaedic partners at The Steadman Clinic and Vail-Summit Orthopaedics. In addition, Vail Health's Shaw Cancer Center and Sonnenalp Breast Center are the region’s only fully accredited cancer treatment center and comprehensive breast center. The Vail Clinic, which was founded in 1965, officially became “Vail Valley Medical Center” in 1980, its first year as a full-service hospital. At that time, we had one primary locatio...n and 25 physicians. Today, Vail Health has locations in nine towns, nearly 1,000 employees, 260 physician partners and 85 volunteers. Vail Health is an equal-opportunity employer. The hospital is handicap accessible and adheres to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Smoking is prohibited in our facilities. This includes e-cigarettes.