The Audiology Clinic Operations Assistant, under the supervision of the Clinical Manager, provides exceptional customer service by serving as the frontline ambassador of service between the patients and audiologists in the clinic/retail setting. This position is responsible for problem solving, monitoring daily operational processes, facilitating coordination of care of Audiology and Occ Med patients, increasing department efficiency, answering questions for clinical and frontline staff and assisting with achieving exceptional customer services. This includes, but is not limited to demonstrating a resourceful nature and actions when patients and/or internal customers have questions and engaging each encounter in a friendly, helpful manner. This position will be responsible for answering phone calls, insurance verification and prior authorizations, scheduling appointments and performing a variety of technical, reception and clerical duties, including audiometric screenings after certification.
1. Verifies insurance and completes prior authorizations for hearing aid purchases.
2. Coordinates buying, receiving, stocking and pricing of hearing aid products. Orders and maintains adequate inventory. Verifies accuracy of incoming orders. Follows up with vendors on merchandise that is backordered. Forwards invoices to the Accounts Payable Department on a regular basis, noting problems or discrepancies. Logs in new hearing aids.
3. Monitors and maintains daily and future schedules, including the supply schedule, allocate schedule and daily reconciliation of provider schedules.
4. Is knowledgeable of and assists patients in comprehending:
- Hearing aid insurance benefits and discounts
- Payment options for hearing aids
- Contracts and quotes for hearing aids
- The differences between how Dean Audiologists can serve them versus other competitors.
- Educational materials and pamphlets
5. Answers phones in a friendly, helpful and welcoming manner according to the guidelines established by the Audiology department (related to patients with hearing loss). Provides exceptional telephone customer service by:
- answering the telephone with a positive/upbeat tone/slow/clear tone
- using appropriate greeting
- taking responsibility for the call
- checking for and responding to voicemail messages same day they are received
7. Learns and maintains the excel spreadsheet that generates hearing aid quotes and contracts.
8. Performs minor hearing aid repairs and cleaning as needed.
9. Maintains treatment rooms, stocks supplies, cleans and sterilizes instruments on a regular basis.
10. Assists the Audiologist with testing of children through use of visual reinforcement audiometry and play audiometry and distraction during immittance testing.
11. Rooms patients, prepares them for ENG/VNG and ABR testing.
12. Serves as a representative for the Audiology Department, by greeting and acknowledging patients/customers, identifying their needs and providing assistance and acting as a personal liaison for the patient/customer with the audiologists, as well the Occ Med department and ENT providers when needed.
13. Achieves, maintains and demonstrates a high degree of technical knowledge relative to the Audiology retail line of products.
14. Is knowledgeable and comfortable answering basic to diverse questions on hearing aid purchases and repairs. Defers technical questions to the Audiologist.
15. Assists in marketing products by maintaining and creating seasonal displays in neat clean display cases.
16. Attends required certifications and programs related to audiometric screenings and hearing conservation to become better educated and informed on testing and services. Monitors industry changes.
17. Maintains departmental algorithms assuring that the most up to date information is available to scheduling staff.
18. Practices and retains customer service skills necessary to diffuse difficult patient situations. Is alert and prepared to deal with circumstances that require service recovery and ensure the patient receives adequate steps to deliver resolution, including management assistance.
19. Participates in Practice Management initiatives including but not limited to collection of third next available data.
20. Follows clinic and department policies and procedures.
21. Attends department and clinic meetings as required by the Audiology Manager.
22. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent with 3-5 years of relevant experience.
2. Certification in Basic Industrial Audiometry (or completion within 6 months of hire).
3. Must possess a service oriented personality with the fundamental desire and ability to provide exceptional customer service.
4. Ability to work independently with excellent decision making skills.
5. Excellent verbal, listening and interpersonal skills.
6. Ability to perform multiple tasks in a busy, ever changing environment.
7. Must be highly disciplined, self-motivated, and organized with the ability to prioritize effectively.
8. Ability to travel to other locations.
9. Computer literate in Microsoft Word and Excel Applications.
1. Previous reg/scheduling, cash handling or purchasing experience.
2. Previous background in insurance and prior authorizations.
3. Knowledge or experience with medical terminology, accounting and auditing skills.
4. Previous experience in a customer service field that required scheduling appointments working and assisting customers in a clinical setting.
5. Background in a medical, dental or hospital setting.
6. Completion of Audiology Assistant Program.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
You’ve known us as many names throughout St. Louis, and now, we’re bringing our hospitals, doctors, home care and other services together under one name – SSM Health. With seven hospitals, 350+ physicians, more than 40 physician locations and 12,000 employees, we are part of something bigger and better. We’re connected to a wealth of resources, expertise and advance technology to help you, your fa...mily and our community live long, healthy lives.
We’ve grown and changed a lot over our 143-year history. Our name may be changing but our mission remains the same